Thursday, July 15, 2010

Disastrous Chicken Pot-Pie

It was a bright sunny afternoon when I decided to venture out to the local flea market. The only introduction that I had to the flea market was from the “FRIENDS” episode where Rachael talks about buying antique furniture from there. With that imprint in mind, coating myself with three layers of sun block i went out with two of my friends. The first look on my face said “you got to be kidding me”!, old telephone sets, ancient coins, old postage stamps, dusty lamps, broken key chain still ancient, 1965 magazines, Ronald Regan posters, puppies, rabbits, skunk, chicken, piles of books, junk, stuff that you wonder still exists. Basically it was a sight worth looking at, what I bought from there was a pack of 10 dish cleaners worth a dollar. Which after a few days I realized why was a dollar. Returning back with a sun tanned face and a plastic bag in hand and an empty stomach growling like the wolves from jungle book, I thought to myself I deserve a treat and headed to Bob Evans.

Being a Sunday evening the restrau was packed head to head and after a 10 min wait I was seated on a table of four, where I was the only one sitting with the sun shining on my face. Anyway after settling down and taking a very hard look at the menu and disappointing the waitress twice that I couldn’t make up my mind, I finally raised my head up as if I had tasted victory and smiled as a signal that I conquered your menu. I was tired of eating French fries and oily and greasy food so was fixated on healthier choices – Slow roasted Chicken Pot pie rang a bell in my mind and the description just melted my heart. It read

Slow roasted Chicken Pot Pie

Tender, slow-roasted chicken makes our classic pot pie the best! Full of sweet carrots, baby peas, celery, onion and chicken in a rich cream sauce covered with a flaky crust.

The description made it sound out of the world. The only goof up there wasn’t any picture accompanying the dish, I had never tasted it before neither had I ever seen anyone eating it. After a very short wait of 7 mins which passed in a jiffy as I was busy playing the maze game on my ipod and sipping hot coffee, the pot pie came. At first sight it was like oh cool!looks great and then I took the first bite, cutting through the flaky crust, royally making the way for the spoon to explore the unseen territory and scooping up a creamy chicken layer which burnt my tongue. Taking that first bite did not register my taste buds as it was so hot and I shoved it down my throat with water. Then I took the second bite it was gooey and creamy and hot for the next 15 mins it seemed the deep dish had a burner of some sought it never got cold or rather warm. The upper crest kept falling off outside the plate and it felt like cracking the apple pie only that it wasn’t cold but outright hot. Chicken pot pie might be the best dish in the world for some, but for me it was a creamy thick sauce, bland and tasteless which I am never ordering again for sure. Lesson well learnt, one dish scratched from the American menu forever till that is the last food on earth but wait that can’t be the last it has chicken and peas and carrots. I am saved this can never be the last dish on earth. A total waste of $10, I would have been better off diving into fried ham burger and cheese sandwich J

3 comments:

ankit said...

Awesome experience.. Don't know but the whole descriptions makes it look yummy.

Ankii said...

Hmm its my writing dude, not the food! anyway if you are tempted to try it..come flying down,,all the food is on me:)

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

We must think of
Seventh-Heaven as
our final goal; to
strive with all our
might to reach the
Great Beyond...
You willing to let
the passing world go?
Only love remains: Jesus.
God bless you.