Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sweet Nothings

Aren't there days in your life when you really don’t want to do anything? You know you have a task at hand an article that needs to be read, the room that needs to be cleaned, a resume that needs to be updated, that shirt that has been lying in that corner of the room for 10 days and needs to be picked up. But even the thought of work makes your fingers hurt and you shut the thought faster than the speed of light. I think I am in a perpetual phase of nothingness these days where the lamest of tasks feels like the best thing in the world. To name a few of those tasks, checking and rechecking the face book account, checking and rechecking the photo albums, watching the stupidest shows on the television, making numerous visits to the kitchen, grabbing something to eat even when I am not hungry. And to top it all it never ends there.

Every morning I make a pact to myself, I will be fully worthwhile today, make a list of all the work I want to accomplish and set it right in front of the desk on a bright yellow post it so I don’t miss it. But guess what the postponement list from yesterday and the day before and the day before is too long to finish in a single day. So rightly the saga continues till there is deadline at work or at school, or mom’s yelling which cannot be stalled anymore. These deadlines do something really weird, suddenly it seems like two cans of red bull have been pumped in and we start working like a machine swift and smooth. At that point the clock is on a battle field with us and rightly before the deadline all the work is done and then you wonder, what the hell? That was easy why didn’t I do it before. But somehow the brain has some screws missing which don’t find their correct spot till the time there is an emergency.

But these sweet nothings surely do something good; they make you realize the importance of lamest things in life. The solace you get when you lie on the bed and stare at the ceiling, the leftover food from the fridge which suddenly seems delicious, the crappiest TV show that you wondered why anyone would ever watch and those movies in your laptop that you didn’t touch for months seem so worthwhile. Oh! Nothingness makes every bit of these tasks enjoyable and an experience in itself. Guess this battle will never be won and nothingness will continue to haunt and charm my life. So ChEeRs to NoThInGnEsS

4 comments:

Himanshu said...

Guess what... I am in the same phase... :)
And every word seems to fit perfectly with my routine these days... :)

I liked the last part where you mentioned the importance of this phase... remembered a poem I read in school days.. "Success is counted sweetest"

Unknown said...

Cool! You have a blog.

It seems like these days we have a lot more distractions with Facebook, video games, movies, etc too. I some days think that we can get stuff done faster today than in the past, but it all equals out after we use it on these activities.

Ankii said...

Nassa, I am glad you could relate to it:)

Ankii said...

Stefan you are right!! I think worth the technology so fast paced we have become smart enough to finish tasks quickly but getting over these nothingness phase is a struggle in itself!